Cognitive Assessment of Young Children (CAYC)
M. Beth Langley, Rebecca Fewell and Taddy Maddox
NEWLY UPDATED & REVISED EDITION OF THE DASI-II!
· Ages: 2 months through 5-11 Years
· Testing Time: 15 to 30 minutes
· Administration: Individual
The Cognitive Assessment of Young Children (CAYC) is a newly developed easy-to-administer screening and assessment tool used to identify children with developmental delays. It is based on the same reliable, successful, theoretical model upon which the DASI (Developmental Activities Screening Inventory) and DASI-II were both designed. This test was normed on 743 demographically representative children, residing in 16 different U.S. states.
The CAYC serves four main purposes:
· Early Identification of Developmental Delay in order to facilitate early intervention.
· Determination of Strengths and Weaknesses contributes valuable information to the total diagnostic effort.
· Documentation of Progress provides clinicians, early childhood educators, teachers, diagnosticians, and psychologists a base from which to monitor change and evaluation. Conclusions can then be made on whether to continue, modify, or terminate the intervention program.
· Research Data can be collected from the well-constructed, reliable and valid results.
The CAYC consists of 107 structured, play-based items in six age-related levels. Each level consists of developmental and mega-cognitive tasks, including, but not limited to the following: (a) fine motor coordination and planning, (b) interactive communication and play, (c) memory, (d) reasoning, (e) perceptual development, (f) processing, (g) classification and organisational skills, (h) concept development, (i) practical knowledge, and (j) components of early learning skills. Items increase sequentially in difficulty. The child being tested must have sufficient hearing, vision, and movement skills in order to understand and respond to test items.
COMPLETE CAYC KIT Includes: Examiner’s Manual, Card Kit, Examiner’s Record Booklet, and an Object Kit, all in a sturdy storage box. (2011)