The lessons in Functional Vocabulary for Adolescents & Adults work through a series of receptive and expressive language tasks to enhance communication skills in young adults with developmental disabilities. Tap all learning modalities through:
- Pictures providing important visual cues for the tasks.
- The flexible format allowing you to start with the items at the level that's best for your students or choose the theme that fits what is happening in your student's life.
- Well-organized structure of tasks in each lesson:
- Point to the correct picture in response to your question
Show me the soap.
What do you dry off with?
- Complete matching, listening, and visual memory tasks with the picture cards provided for each lesson
- Imitate words and sentences and complete simple sentences
I see a washcloth.
I use a ____.
- Name, describe, and answer questions about each item
Describe how you shave.
Name six grooming items.
- Answer critical thinking and problem solving questions related to real-life situations
Why do you wash your hands before eating?
How do you know if you need to shave?
Lesson themes include 86 topics such as:
Home—grooming, hair care, clothing, laundry, and food groups
Community—apartment, city bus, bank/ATM, restaurant, and grocery store
Work—job choices, getting a job, baker/helper, laundry worker, and stock clerk
Leisure—baseball, soccer, board games, dance, and movie theatre
Copyright © 2005
179 pages, reproducible pictures