Refines articulation and speech intelligibility, plus builds higher speech motor coordination skills using familiar two and three syllable words.
Kaufman Kit 2 uses familiar two and three-syllable words to target more complicated speech motor movements and synthesis into initial and final word positions. The 285 visual referent cards target sounds /f, g, k, l, s, sh/. Also included are blends of /s, r, l/ and pivot syllables of low, ber, ter, and ing. As with Kaufman Kit 1, the treatment methods employ a systematic and progressive approach of simplifying word pronunciation patterns to shape and expand verbal expression and make communication easier for children with CAS and other speech sound disorders. Ages 4-10 years.
How It Works:
This highly effective approach builds intelligibility through a hierarchy of successive "word shell" approximations. Stimulus cards feature bright, color illustrations on the front. The reverse side breaks down the target word into a series of approximations based on the least physiological effort of that target word.
The clinician is able to introduce more complex phoneme patterns as the child's ability improves, thus maintaining the child's ability to speak at his or her maximum level. These "word shells" provide a verbal avenue by which children communicate at their own skill level and with success!
Kaufman Kit 2 Therapy Targets:
- CbVCf – One and two-syllable back-velar to tip-alveolar
- CfVCb – One and two-syllable tip-alveolar to back-velar
- "low" pivot syllable
- /tƏr/ pivot syllable
- /bƏr/ pivot syllable
- "ing" pivot syllable
- Familiar complex bisyllabics
- Familiar complex polysyllabics
- Synthesis of /f, g, k, l, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/
- Synthesis into initial and final word positions
Kaufman Kit 2 Program Highlights:
- Includes 285 durable and engaging picture cards (5"x7").
- Targets the sounds /f, g, k, l, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/.
- Features the pivot syllables: low, ber, ter and ing.
- Includes a comprehensive Manual (52 pages) overviewing the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) approach and how these methods can help children progress quickly from a simple core vocabulary toward becoming effective, functional, intelligible communicators.
- Also, target word cards can be combined to develop sentences for more clarity practice.
What's in the Manual?
The comprehensive 52-page manual discusses implementation of this approach.
- K-SLP Six Steps
- Evaluation hierarchy
- Treatment hierarchy
- Phonemic simplification
- Cueing techniques
- IEP goal-writing examples
- Using phonological processes to establish a core vocabulary
- Kaufman techniques for children with autism
- Note to parents
- 285 durable and engaging picture cards to target sounds: /k, g, l, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/.
- Cards are 5"x7" with bright color illustrations on the front and phonemic approximations "word shells" on the reverse side.
- Durable carrying case with handle for easy transport.
- Color coded cards and dividers designed for easy organization.
- Instructional manual including:
- Complete Evaluation Hierarchy
- Complete Treatment Hierarchy
- Cueing Techniques
- IEP Goal-Writing Examples
- General Treatment Considerations
Implementation and Training:
The Kaufman Treatment Kit includes a 52-page manual fully explaining this approach. Also available is an optional 4-hour, in-depth online training course related to this approach presented by international apraxia expert, Nancy Kaufman, MA, CCC-SLP.
Kaufman Workout Book - 2nd Edition: Developed as a follow up to Kaufman Kit 1 and Kaufman Kit 2, use the Workout Book’s engaging speech motor coordination activities to quickly expand single words into functional phrases and sentences without taxing the motor system.