Test of Pragmatic Language (TOPL-2)
Diana Phelps-Terasaki and Trisha Phelps-Gunn
· Ages: 6-0 to 18-11 Years
· Testing Time: 45 to 60 minutes
· Administration: Individual
The Test of Pragmatic Language-2 (TOPL-2) expands the original test for an even more in-depth and comprehensive analysis of social communication in context. Its four principal uses include:
· identifying individuals with pragmatic language deficits
· determining individual strengths and weaknesses
· documenting an individual’s progress
· researching pragmatic language skills.
This updated edition addresses reviewers’ concerns with the previous edition, adding and improving on important components such as:
· Pragmatic Evaluation — focuses on a student’s ability to monitor and appraise the effectiveness of the response to resolve the social problem situation.
· Detailed IEP’s — addresses students with emotional disabilities, learning disabilities, behaviour problems, Asperger’s Spectrum Disorders, language impairments, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders, and Depression and Anxiety Disorders. Includes goals, objectives, and progress monitoring.
· Clinical Interpretive Framework — allows the test user to see at a glance which components of the model are relevant to each item.
· Extended Norms — provides an assessment for all school-aged students up to age 18-11, allowing older students to benefit from an assessment of pragmatic language. Examines further the relationship between behavioural problems and pragmatic difficulties.
· Color Picture Prompts — aids in evaluation, clarity, and student interest in an easy to use easel-back format. Picture content has also been updated to reflect more accurately the environment of children and adolescents.
· Verbal Prompts — reflects more accurately the environment of children and adolescents.
· Comprehensive Scoring Guideline — indicates the components that each response measures, with multiple correct/incorrect response samples.
This test was originally designed for use by speech-language pathologists. However, with the ever-increasing emphasis on social skills and conflict resolution in students, the TOPL-2 test provides essential information for all team members: school psychologists, counsellors, clinical psychologists, and special education specialists. These varied team members now use the TOPL-2 as part of a full individual evaluation and program planning, and were part of TOPL-2 development and norming.
COMPLETE TOPL-2 KIT INCLUDES: Examiner’s Manual, Picture Book, 25 Examiner Record Booklets for ages 6-7, 25 Examiner Record Booklets for ages 8-18, all in a sturdy storage box.