Thomas J. Hixon, Gary Weismer, and Jeannette D. Hoit
Preclinical Speech Science: Anatomy, Physiology, Acoustics, and Perception, Third Edition is a high-quality text for undergraduate and graduate courses in speech and hearing science. Written in a user-friendly style by distinguished scientists/clinicians who have taught the course to thousands of students at premier academic programs, it is the text of choice for instructors and students. Additionally, it is applicable to a broad range of courses that cover the anatomy and physiology of speech production, speech acoustics, and swallowing as well as those that cover the hearing mechanism, psychoacoustics, and speech perception.
The material in this book is designed to help future speech-language pathologists and audiologists to understand the science that underpins their work and provide a framework for the evaluation and management of their future clients. It provides all the information students need to be fully ready for their clinical practicum training.
- Describes scientific principles explicitly and in translational terms that emphasize their relevance to clinical practice.
- Features beautiful original, full-color illustrations designed to be instructive learning tools.
- Incorporates analogies that aid thinking about processes from different perspectives.
- Features "sidetracks" that contain clinical insights and relate interesting historical and contemporary facts to the discipline of speech and hearing science.
- Provides a framework for conceptualizing the uses, subsystems, and levels of observation of speech production, hearing, and swallowing.
- Includes material that is ideal for preparing both undergraduates and graduates for clinical study.
NEW TO THE THIRD EDITION:
- Three new, up-to-date, and comprehensive chapters on auditory anatomy and physiology, auditory psychophysics, and speech physiology measurement and analysis.
- All chapters fully revised, including updated references and new full-color, detailed images.
- Ancillary materials available on a PluralPlus companion website, including PowerPoint lecture slides, image bank, study guides, and audio files.
Details: 728 pages, Colour Illustrations (4 Colour), Hardcover, 216 x 280mm
Included Media: Companion Website
- ISBN13: 978-1-63550-061-5
Release Date: 31/08/2018