Ages: 12-18 Grades: 7-Adult
The flexible format attention-grabbing illustration on the front and a variety of stimuli on the back targets a wide range of social skills perfect for groups or one-on-one therapy.
The emphasis is on using real-life, higher-demand social language skills. You'll stimulate observation, dialogue, discussion, reasoning, flexible thinking, and perspective taking with questions and narratives.
Activities are based on research from The Social Language Development Test–Adolescent and reflect a developmental progression of specific social language skills among 12- to 18-year-olds. The activities complement those in Social Language Training–Adolescent with more demands on social language comprehension, expression, and reasoning.
Skill areas include:
- Nonverbal Communication identify and interpret facial expressions, gestures, posture, and proximity
- Making Inferences use context, body language, and other clues to make reasonable inferences about what is happening and why
- Multiple Interpretations think of more than one logical interpretation for a situation; develop flexibility in thinking
- Multiple Perspectives recognize that people in the same situation can think different thoughts and have different opinions
- Solving Problems identify social problems, think of solutions, and justify why some solutions are better than others; recognize the feelings of other people and think of solutions that preserve or create friendships
- Interpreting Idioms & Sarcasm recognize discrepancy between intended and expressed meanings and reflect on the speaker's beliefs and attitudes
- Social Interaction recognize appropriate and inappropriate reactions to people and know what to say and do
- Interpersonal Negotiationùlearn to compromise, problem solve, listen, negotiate, and seek mutually-pleasing resolutions to conflicts
- Relating Personal Experience express personal experiences and feelings and realize the value of considering other people's perspectives
- COMPLETE PRODUCT INCLUDES: 50 8½" x 11" double-sided, coated picture/stimuli cards; instructions; and answer key; all in a vinyl folder. (©2011)