Test of Verbal Conceptualization and Fluency (TVCF)
Cecil R. Reynolds and Arthur MacNeill Horton, Jr.
· Ages: 8-0 through 89-0 Years
· Testing Time: 25 to 30 minutes
· Administration: Individual or group
The Test of Verbal Conceptualization and Fluency (TVCF) is designed to measure multiple aspects of executive functioning deficits of the brain. It is useful in neuropsychological exams, mainly to detect brain injury and in tracking rehabilitation progress. This is also an invaluable tool in evaluating language functions and verbal ability, and assessing those who may also suffer from language related conceptualization deficits and fluency problems.
The kit has four easy to administer subtests of primarily verbal and nonverbal tasks that emphasise multiple aspects of verbal fluency, set-shifting, and concept identification, along with sequencing and visual search skills. Standardised scores (or scaled scores) are provided in the form of normalised T-scores, along with their accompanying supplementary scores conversions.
Because the TVCF is particularly time and cost-efficient, it is useful in both educational and clinical settings.
The TVCF subtests include:
1. Categorical Fluency measures the examinee's ability to retrieve words that fit within a conceptual category (e.g., animals, things to eat) and fluency of ideation.
2. Classification is a verbal measure of shifting and rule induction that is designed as a language-based analog to the well-known Wisconsin Card Sorting Test (Grant & Berg, 1948). Three scores are obtained: number of items correct, number of perseveration errors, and number of categories achieved.
3. Letter Naming measures word retrieval by initial sound and fluency of ideation.
4. Trails C measures the ability to coordinate high attentional demands, sequencing, visual search capacity, and the ability to shift rapidly between Arabic numerals, and linguistic representations of numbers. The trails task is a variation of several other "trail-making" tasks and was taken from the earlier published Comprehensive trail-Making Test (Reynolds, 2003) and completely renormed with the other TVCF tasks.
COMPLETE TVCF (©2007) KIT INCLUDES: Examiner’s Manual, 25 Profile/Examiner Record Forms, 25 Trails C Form, Classification Cards, set in a sturdy storage box.