The Late Eight, Third Edition provides clinical resources to help clinicians, students, and academics evaluate and treat late-acquired sounds. The text is an ideal resource for anyone working with individuals whose speech contains errors affecting [θ], [ð], [s], [z], [l], [r], [ʃ], or [tʃ]. Additionally, vocalic [r] is included because it often serves as a step to reaching consonantal [r].
The third edition keeps (and slightly modifies) the clinical resources while expanding the toolkit to include new essential clinical concepts, including evidence-based practice, Spanish-influenced English, the curriculum, and a new treatment model. In addition, the third edition replaces the CD of previous editions with an expanded and flexible interactive companion website.
New to the third edition:
- 4 additional chapters: Chapter 1: A Late 8 Update, Chapter 2: Using Evidence to Guide Clinical Practice, Chapter 3: The Late 8 en español, Chapter 4: Speech Sound Disorders, Literacy, and Curriculum
- Contributing authors provide their expertise
- A PluralPlus companion website
The PluralPlus companion website contains over 20 podcasts on current topics and demonstrations of clinical techniques. It also contains reproducible "cheat sheets," exercises, and word lists for clinical use, plus:
- 24 different demonstrations of place, manner, and voicing;
- more than 70 phonetic placement and shaping techniques;
- 35 language awareness and speech activities;
- more than 4,000 words divided by phonetic and word environments; and
- more than 2,200 minimal pairs.
As in previous editions, resources for each late-acquired sound include:
- technical and nontechnical definitions;
- age of acquisition;
- common errors;
- key phonetic environments;
- useful metaphors;
- touch cues;
- initial screening tests;
- stimulability tests;
- demonstrations of place, manner, and voicing;
- phonetic placement and shaping techniques;
- speech exercises: language awareness and speech activities;
- lists of words divided by phonetic and word environments; and
- minimal pairs.
Ken M. Bleile
467 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 7 x 10",
release date: 01/11/2017