For SLPs working with children who are having difficulty with the production, synthesis, and/or sequencing of words with /m, t, b, d, h, n, w, p/. The visual referents are most appropriate for children ages 2-8.
How much time is required?
About 15 minutes to complete a session.
Develop vocal skills for children who struggle to speak.
Kaufman Kit 1 teaches children to combine consonants and vowels to form words while controlling for speech motor coordination difficulty. The 225 visual referent cards were selected specifically to teach the syllable shapes that are the building blocks of speech that children need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators. This treatment method employs a systematic and progressive approach of simplifying word pronunciation patterns based on natural phonological processes to shape and expand verbal expression and make communication easier for children with childhood apraxia of speech (CAS) and other speech sound disorders.
How It Works:
This highly effective approach builds intelligibility through a hierarchy of successive "word shell" approximations. Stimulus cards feature bright, color illustrations on the front. The reverse side breaks down the target word into a series of approximations based on the least physiological effort of that target word.
The clinician is able to introduce more complex phoneme patterns as the child's ability improves, thus maintaining the child's ability to speak at his or her maximum level. These "word shells" provide a verbal avenue by which children communicate at their own skill level and with success!
Kaufman Kit 1 Therapy Targets:
- Synthesis of /m, t, b, d, h, n, w, p/
- CVCV Simple Repetitive Syllables
- VC Initial Consonant Deletion
- CV Consonant-Vowel
- VCV Vowel-Consonant-Vowel
- CV1CV2 Repetitive Syllables with Vowel Change
- C1V1C2V2 Simple Bisyllabics
- CVC Assimilation
- CVC Bilabial Assimilation
- CVC Tip-Alveolar Assimilation
- CVCVCV Simple Polysyllabics
- C1V1C2V2 Plus CVC
Kaufman Kit 1 Program Highlights:
- Includes 225 durable and engaging picture cards (5"x7").
- Targets sounds /m, t, b, d, h, n, w, p/.
- Teaches the syllable shapes children need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators.
- Teaches unique pivot syllables such as "ny" or "dle/do" which are not included in other apraxia treatment materials.
- Includes a comprehensive Manual (52 pages) overviewing the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) approach and how these methods can help children progress quickly from a simple core vocabulary toward becoming effective, functional, intelligible communicators.
- Features the engaging Mutt Family characters whose names were strategically selected to be repetitive syllables with vowel change words, simple bisyllabics, and simple consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words to practice speech motor coordination.
What's in the Manual?
The comprehensive 52-page manual discusses implementation of this approach.
- K-SLP Six Steps
- Evaluation hierarchy
- Treatment hierarchy
- Phonemic simplification
- Cueing techniques
- IEP goal-writing examples
- Using phonological processes to establish a core vocabulary
- Kaufman techniques for children with autism
- Note to parents
- 225 durable and engaging picture cards targeting the sounds: /m, t, b, d, h, n, w, p/.
- Cards are 5"x7" with bright color illustrations on the front and phonemic approximations "word shells" on the reverse side.
- Color coded cards & dividers designed for easy organization.
- Durable carrying case with handle for easy transport.
- Instructional manual including:
- Complete Evaluation Hierarchy
- Complete Treatment Hierarchy
- Cueing Techniques
- IEP Goal-Writing Examples
- General Treatment Considerations
Implementation and Training:
The Kaufman Treatment Kit includes a 52-page manual fully explaining this approach. Also available is an optional 4-hour, in-depth online training course related to this approach presented by international apraxia expert, Nancy Kaufman, MA, CCC-SLP.
Kaufman Treatment Kit 2 - Advanced Level: Once a child has mastered the sounds in Kit 1, Treatment Kit 2 helps to refine intelligibility by addressing more complicated speech motor movements and synthesis into initial and final word positions. Kit 2 sequences /k, g, f, s, sh/ and blends of /s, r, l/.
Kaufman Workout Book - 2nd Edition: Developed as a follow up to Kaufman Kit 1, use the Workout Book’s engaging speech motor coordination activities to quickly expand single words into functional phrases and sentences without taxing the motor system.